There are many different ways to write wedding vows. You can make them traditional, playful, short, or long – there is no perfect formula. We understand it can be intimidating so here are a few tips for writing your wedding vows to get you started:
1. Make a list of the things that you love about your spouse and read them aloud. Mention little things that you notice on a daily basis or things that stand out to everyone about them.
2. Promise to always be there for your spouse, no matter what happens. This means the fun times, the difficult times, the little wins, and the big falls. Really emphasize that you mean it, no matter what curveballs come your way.
3. Recite a favorite poem, song lyric, or passage that speaks to your relationship. This will be something you will cherish from then on forever.
4. Promise to always be honest with each other and never keep secrets. Honesty and trust is the biggest building block of a relationship.
5. Pledge to always support your spouse in everything they do. This one you can make very serious or playful. I support you when you rearrange the pantry for the 12th time this year, or when you think of a new empire to create.
6. Tell your spouse why you fell in love with them in the first place. Bring up those memories from the start of your relationship where you started noticing that this was your one true love.
7. Express your gratitude for your spouse and all they’ve done for you. Bring up some things you want to say thank you for.
8. Promise to never take your relationship for granted. This is huge. Once we had a couple say “the honeymoon phase is a choice” and I have never forgotten that. Remind them that you will continue to be grateful for their presence in your life and choose them every day.
No matter what you choose to say in your wedding vows, make sure that they come from the heart and reflect your feelings for your spouse. These words will be remembered by everyone, so make them count! The most important thing is that you mean them from the bottom of your heart and are willing to stand by them forever.