On the list of things that need to be perfect on your wedding day – hair and makeup are high on the list. This is not something you want to wait to focus on. There are a few summer wedding makeup tips to help keep your makeup look lasting all day in the sun and dancing all night!
Make up tips for before your wedding
- Create a Pinterest board with your favorite looks for both you and your bridesmaids. This is a great thing to share with your stylist before you book with them.
- You can also check to see if there are any previous bridal looks from that stylist that you love!
- Healthy skin is the best skin for makeup, try to moisturize as much as possible. We recommend a hydrating serum at night and a lotion with SPF during the day.
- Sunscreen is key! Avoid getting sunburned to keep your skin in the best shape for your wedding day.
- We don’t recommend spray tanning just before your wedding day. However, if you plan to get a spray tan schedule it at least 4 days in advance. Make sure to also tell your stylist if you plan on getting a spray tan as well.
- Drink plenty of water! Hydrated skin will allow for the best application of makeup.
- Don’t forget your lips too! Keep a lip balm in your pocketbook, car, and desk so you always have one nearby.
- Begin using teeth whitening at least a few months before the big day.
- You can also schedule your teeth cleaning for a few weeks before!
- Don’t forget about your nails. There will be plenty of ring shots, so start using nail oil and pushing back your cuticles.
- If possible try to get a bridal makeup trial with your stylist, this is for you and for them! Then you can make tweaks and have a closer relationship with your stylist on the day of the wedding.
- You can also tell your makeup artist what kind of makeup you normally wear so she knows what brands you like or what looks you normally go for.
- Shower before your wedding. Most hairdressers don’t recommend freshly washed hair on the wedding day anyway. So make sure to take your nice relaxing bath or shower to wash your hair the day before!
- You can also apply dry shampoo the night before. This way it soaks into your hair throughout the night.
Make up tips for on the wedding day
- For summer weddings or weddings in tropical locations like Costa Rica, choose a more matte foundation. The extra shine will make your skin reflect in the sun, and look more sweaty than dewy.
- Avoid too much highlighter as well! This reflects in the summer sun and might add unwanted shine on your wedding photos.
- Talk to your makeup artist about which concealer you like most. Powder formulas work great on folks with larger pores, while creams offer a dewy finish and last longer in cooler temperatures.
- Consider the length of your wedding, if your wedding takes place from day to night pick more long-wearing makeup and avoid a full-face look. This way your makeup lasts the entire time. If you are eloping you can have more flexibility with your makeup look and pick more dramatic styles since your big day is often much shorter.
- Prep your skin with an anti-shine and water-resistant prime. This can help your makeup stick and stay matte all day long.
- Consider using matte lipstick, and avoid glosses! Matte lipsticks reducing smudging and last longer.
- Your blush – pro tip, ask your makeup artist to buy you a few things that you can take home.. lip colors, blush, or mascaras. This way you have them for touch-ups throughout the day and you can also wear them for special occasions and reflect on such a great day!
- Think of matching your lips to your flowers or finding a complimenting color.
- Use a lip liner to help your lipstick last longer and smudge less. Be careful not to overline your lips too much, this can fade and cause an inconsistent look in photos.
- Use a nude or light eyeliner, this can make your eyes pop and give you a brighter eye look.
- A tip to help your perfume last much longer is not to rub wrists together once you apply your perfume. Instead, press together.
- Keep a little makeup touch-up kit on hand for after the ceremony. We recommend having a beauty blender on hand to press the product into the skin instead of leaving streaks or wiping the product away. You can also use blotting papers or translucent powder to remove excess oil or shine on the day.
There is a lot to consider when picking your wedding stylist. When you work with us, we will help you to pick the best makeup artist for your style and for your budget! Have more questions? Leave us a comment below!