We are constantly in awe of the incredible things we learn about this beautiful country. So today we figured we would share our top 10 favorite facts about Costa Rica with you!
- 25% of Costa Rica is protected! There are more than 100 different areas to visit around the country. From beaches to rainforests and reserves – you can explore untouched places with animals and plants not found anywhere else in the world.
- Sunsets and sunrises are around the same time all year round! This is because of how close to the equator we are – which is also why the weather is so fabulous most of the year.
- Costa Rica is one of the most biodiverse countries in the world however it is also one of the smallest. It only makes up about .03% of the world’s land space! Small but mighty!
- The tourism industry welcomes over 2 million visitors every year to paradise.
- Half of the year, 99% of the electricity comes from renewable resources.
- Costa Rica does not have any military forces! Instead, they invest in healthcare and education. This is why the locals are so welcoming and lovely to tourists.
- Costa Rica has more hummingbirds than any other country. This tropical climate is perfect for these beautiful birds. In fact, 52 species make their home here.
- There are more than 800 miles of shoreline here! This means you can enjoy a different beach every single day!
- The Arenal volcano was once one of the most active volcanoes in the world! There are also plenty of hot springs with beautiful views of the massive volcano that you can enjoy today.
- 10% of the world’s butterflies live in Costa Rica! There are 1500 species of butterflies.. and a shocking 12,000 species of moths.
Costa Rica is filled with places to explore, things to do, and unique animals to see. What have you learned about Costa Rica recently? Share it with us in a comment below!